Have you ever eaten an entire pie in one sitting?
I know that’s HORRIBLY unhealthy (which is why it only happened once), but the pie was so good I couldn’t help myself. (OK, I could have. I just didn’t want to.)
It was one of my mom’s cherry cream cheese pies. She got the recipe from a can of Eagle Brand Condensed Milk and has been making the delectable dessert for as long as I can remember.
Her pies are rich, sweet and tangy like cheesecake … and 460 calories per slice. Ouch.
Independence Day is around the corner, and my mom’s pies have been on my mind — but I won’t ask her to make me one. I’m trying to eat healthier (I want to set a good example for Baby Bird), and I knew I’d shovel that pie in my mouth like a squirrel hoarding nuts.
So I came up with a “skinny cheesecake.” All the sinful goodness, sweetness, and tang — and only 215 calories!
Once the “cheesecake” was done, I thought about inhaling it. Instead, I sat down and wrote the recipe for you.
*The calorie count includes the strawberries. The count would change if you chose to substitute or exclude the fruit.
- 8 oz Cool Whip Lite
- 8 oz 1/3 less Fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- Reduced Fat Ready Crust Graham Cracker Crust
- 1/4 cup Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 10 medium strawberries (optional)
- In a large bowl, whip cream cheese, lemon juice and condensed milk until fluffy.
- Add Cool Whip and combine until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into pie crust and chill for at least an hour, until firm.
- Top with strawberries (or another fruit of your choosing).